Here's how it went down. First, I had doors that wouldn't line up. They would close, and open, but there was about 1.25 inches from the bottom of the right door and the bottom of the left door. Unacceptable!
Yeah, that wasn't gong to work for me. So I took the interwebs for some advice. I knew that this was a fairly common problem, and someone would be able to help me out. As it turns out, I was right. I found a tutorial that basically told me to go back to my bag of hinges. I hadn't looked on the backside, which was covered by a delivery label. But underneath there were tips on how to tweak the doors by tightening and loosening certain screws on the hinges. Word to the wise: this isn't a feature unique to Ikea hinges. Many, many other cabinet makers use a similar setup, so if your doors aren't hanging correctly, try tweaking the hinges itself.
Unfortunately, I spent about an hour adjusting the doors through trial and error, and I only got .6 inches closer. That was still not going to cut it.
At that point, I called in the reinforcements.
I had to add an extra set of holes halfway between where they were designed to go. I didn't see another way out. It was easy enough once I had my hubby support the door as I adjusted the hinges, but it is DEFINITELY a two-person job. No alternative to that--otherwise you risk damaging the entire frame.
I was a little worried at this point, because one wrong hole could screw up an entire hinge, which would give me unstable doors. And since this is something I'd like to have for years, I didn't want questionable structural soundness.
Luckily, my gamble paid off. This is what the doors look like now:
|What perfectly plumb Ikea doors look like.|